Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

When you hear someone say "I hate butterbeans, country music, democrats, the color orange," or whatever, does it irritate you? It drives me nuts. I try to smile pathetically, instead of saying something like "Well, you're an idiot," or "Who the hell cares?" or "Well, they ain't so crazy about you, either."

This was the train of thought that segued, late at night, into thinking about the many worlds of people out there that I don't know, and especially those worlds that I don't know I don't know, and therefore don't think about. There are concentric circles within each of those worlds, of course. Start with a large world of, say, music. Within that are not just genres, but divisions such as listeners, performers, teachers, collectors, concertgoers, directors, producers, sellers. I belong to a small world of folk musicians that overlap the worlds of guitar, banjo, mountain dulcimer, hammered dulcimer, singing, tin whistle and kazoo. Within each of those worlds the true believers favor even smaller groups that favor more or fewer strings, frets, picks, or noters, or combinations or fractions thereof. If I'm not asleep yet, I can start over with the worlds of horses, cars, flowers, art, literature, politics, and go on until morning. Tonight I think I'll start with desserts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Carol, I have "caught up" by reading your blogs for the past three years and stand in admiration for the way you have handled "life's evemts." Martha joins me in hoping your cemo will go as smoothly as can be expected. We admire your attitude and the way you are dealing with adversity.

The picture of us was taken three years ago at house we built in 2001in an area called - at that time - Sapphire lakes County Club. We sold it shortly after that picture was taken and moved to Pisgah Forrest (an unincorporated area 1/2 mile from the city limits of Brevard, NC.)We just tell every one we live in Brevard because it's easier to remember than Pisgah Forest.

Re replies to "I hate", my Mother always told me to simply reply "Why bless your heart." In all candor it works much better for ladies to say but I always thought it was a great phrase. It falls in the same category, when some one utters a "stupidism", to simply reply, "You know, you may be right."