Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

God and Santa Claus

Is it just me, or do a lot of people confuse God and Santa? Of course we did as children, big fat guy with white curly hair and a big beard, who wanted us to be good little girls and boys. He dressed up for Christmas, but he was the same guy.

Early on I learned that no matter how good I was, I would get a ratty little mesh stocking full of stale candy, a wooden paddle with a ball attached with a rubber band that broke right away, maybe a kazoo. My friend who always told fibs, sassed the teacher and said bad words, got beautiful dolls, skates, more and better stuff. I learned that life was simpler if I was good, and people were nicer to me. It just wasn't working to make God or Santa happy. God wouldn't stop at cheap presents, he would kill off your relatives. Whether they were good or not.

Now that I'm fairly well as grown up as it gets, I'm still uncomfortable at too much "Keeping Christ in Christmas." Keep Santa at the mall, keep Christ and his Dad in church. I'll be good if I feel like it, and give myself a nice piece of expensive chocolate, and play some soft carols, and hug friends and family. Because I want to. Not in hope of a reward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've always had a way with words and you continue to prove it. Thoughtful reflections on Christmas and on some religious perspectives.

Mike

Arlene Barry Kiely said...

Parents want to preserve a magical childhood while coercing good behavior. No wonder we wrestle against confusing duty with love. Yet the Spirit of Love pursues/woos us into community, gratitude and grace. Our spiritual journey requires wrestling and fidelity to the self we are created to be. Thanks, Carol!