Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Grumpy

I am grumpy. I am without wheat for four days. No, I do not have the shakes or other withdrawal symptoms, just noticing that something is missing from my life.

Not just toast, but pasta, waffles, panko crumbs, Cuban sandwiches, even croutons. I just finished "Wheat Belly," recommended by our florist. Don't laugh. Our doctors have not recommended any reading matter during the 20 years we have been gaining serious pounds of belly fat.

Our doctors say things like "Eat less, exercise more." Duh. We have so many plastic parts that walking is not a good idea. Yes, I do stretch and bends, jog around in the pool, and CJ exerts himself every time he gets out of his wheelchair.

This book, written by a cardiologist, espouses the theory that the epidemic of obesity and diabetes is due to the industrialization of the wheat farming business. This has caused hybridization to produce wheat that is easier to harvest, but untested for human effects. The author is a cardiolgist, and has seen thousands of patients lose lots of pounds and intestinal distress by just giving up wheat.

I'll let you know what happens to me. Five days is not a good test.

No comments: