Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Love for a quarter

CJ turns 73 next week. His brother, Judson, just turned 85. Judson found a yellowed note that he sent to his father on the occasion of his little brother's birth, in the depression in Missouri:

Dear Daddy,

Since the baby has come I know we are under circumstantial problems. I am provided with well enough and think I could get out the ashes and coal for nothing.

You put the extra quarter in on anything the boy would kneed.

Your son,
Judson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad! But it's nice to have saved these memories to share with those of us who were fortunate enough not to have lived in the "D" years!

LuckyLady said...

I do not find it sad at all. It is very uplifting to know that he loved his family and new baby so much he was willing to forego his allowance and do his chores for free to help out. I am sure based on the character he showed here he had a successful life.

Marilyn Reynolds said...

Carol, this is an amazing blog. We've been having contact with friends in LA who have just had a very premature baby. He's evidently doing quite well. Thank you for all of this information, and here is my email website: mvreynolds@earthlink.net

My very best to both of you.

Mike Reynolds
(916) 635-5995

Daniel said...

He was much nicer than Jacob and Sarah and I were to each other!