Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Confusion

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand much of this Christmas stuff. God knows, I try. I religiously watch the Macy's parade and hope to get infused with the Christmas Spirit, whatever that is. I watch Spongebob Squarepants and Spiderman balloons and wonder what they're doing up there. Maybe a Baby Jesus balloon wouldn't be quite right, either, though.

I go shopping, to see if that will help with the blahs. The decorations and gifts that have been there since Labor Day are looking a little dusty, and are already marked down. The gift guides in every magazine and paper try to convince me to send my loved ones socks or TV's. What do they have to do with Christmas?

Lawn decorations are a mystery. One neighbor had life-sized animated people, animals, and elves climbing all around inside their garage, to make it look like an old-fashioned department store window. There were so many cars and buses lined up that we were prisoners in our house. This year is all about wire deer, dolphins, locomotives and even a helicopter, lighted to look like they're moving. One neighbor has wired his lawn so that it changes patterns in time with Mannheim Steamroller on the speakers. The most recent addition to the scene is the life-sized bronze rhinoceros, all decked out in a leafy wreath collar. I guess a rhino is just as appropriate as Spiderman.

Once again, my family will receive virtual pigs and goats from Heifer, with the actual beasties going to third world families. I know, pigs and goats don't exactly scream "Merry Christmas" either. So I will be sending cookies and candy, which is what Baby Jesus would have wanted

3 comments:

CubanQuilter said...

Bah humbug! You can't spoil my joy at knowing we'll be together at Christmas!

We've decided to put most of our emphasis on spending time together. Yes, there will be gifts, but most will be homemade or at least useful.

Do something nice for someone who needs it ... that's the best gift for them and for you.

June said...

I think the Heifer International gifts are charity in it's real sense. I like them. Of course, I'm a fan of cookies and candy too. And what the hell, decorated Rhinocerouses. If yard art imbues your neighbors with the spirit of Christmas, who's to say that's wrong? I have a Christmas Pig marching around my little apartment right now, and he makes me happy. So there.

Mama Bean said...

Silly girl. Don't you know it's all about the presents and garish decorations?!?!